Every dream trip comes with its own little nightmare: packing. We’re all guilty of over-packing, and lugging around items that we never end up wearing. Packing for a trip with family or friends, a holiday, or even a business trip, each has its own peculiarities. Knowing where you’re going is essential for selecting the right clothes, shoes, accessories, and even the size of your suitcase. Even knowing all this, it’s likely that you won’t have enough space in your suitcase. But there’s a solution for everything. Vacuum storage bags are the solution for this ordeal.
What are vacuum storage bags?
You’ve probably heard of them before, since this wonderful innovation has been on the market for quite some time, and the bags are easy to find in both physical and online stores. They have a nozzle and a valve through which a vacuum cleaner or pump removes the air from around the clothes, reducing the size of the bag by quite a lot. In addition to this, they protect your clothes from moisture, insects and bad smells. These bags are available in many different sizes, such as vacuum bags for hand luggage, as well as for pillows and blankets.
Pros and cons of vacuum storage bags
- Space optimisation.
- Protects garments from dust, insects and moisture.
- Vacuum storage bags for travel increase luggage capacity.
- Looks after your clothes and keeps them in good condition.
- Ideal for expensive items, as it protects them from moths.
- Vacuum bags keep clothes looking new for longer.
- These bags have a hanger on top, so they can be hung in the wardrobe.
- Clothes bags are reusable.
- These bags are very accessible at such a low price.
- The bags are made of high-quality material, which is resistant and durable.
- It is not recommended to use these bags for fabrics which easily crease.
- It’s not advisable to vacuum pack items that need to be used daily.
- The bag’s vacuum may disappear over time.
- Some bags may eventually tear at the edges.
How do vacuum storage bags work?
They’re very simple to use connect the valve to the nozzle of your vacuum cleaner, this sucks out the air and decreases the volume of the bag. Many people use them to pack their suitcases, like these vacuum storage bags for travel, and others use them for storing items they won’t use for a long period of time, like winter clothes. This can vary according to each person’s tastes and needs, but both are great uses for vacuum storage bags.
Steps for storing clothes in vacuum bags
- Select the items: first you need to know which clothes you want to store, so that you can choose the size of the bag.
- Find the bag: these days you can find them in almost every store, so all you need to know is the size and quantity of bags that you’ll need for your storage solution.
- Choose the space: the bag should be placed somewhere that it can be easily filled; this is usually done on the bed, but it can also be done quietly on a rug. It’s very important to leave the bag’s nozzle facing up.
- Prepare your clothes: carefully fold the selected items, so that they occupy the least amount of space possible.
- Close the bag: when filling the bag with clothes, take care not to exceed the limit, to avoid it being damaged. Once the bag is full, close it by running the fastener from one end to the other, to ensure that it is closed correctly.
- Prepare the valve: remove the nozzle cover and locate the mark in the centre where the air will be removed. Place your thumb here and press to open. It will make a sound and the valve will become visible.
- Connect the vacuum cleaner: place the hose of the vacuum in the hole where the valve is, making sure to cover the entire nozzle. Don’t leave the equipment alone during this procedure.
- Extract the air: start air suction from the bag. This process must be monitored, to make sure there is no air left in the bag and that it doesn’t get damaged. Then, the hose must be removed, and the nozzle quickly closed, to avoid air getting in.
Vacuum storage bag sizes
Vacuum bags are available in a variety of sizes, design and thickness. It all depends on the number of things you need to store. You can store different items of clothing, duvets, pillows, personal items and even some foods.
Types of vacuum bag
Currently, there are three main types of vacuum storage bag.
- Space-saving: these bags can be rolled up once the air has been removed, further optimising space in the suitcase.
- Flat surfaces bags: this type of bag can be used to store everything, including food, valuable items and ornaments. They are very lightweight, but they are designed to be stored on flat surfaces and cannot be rolled, as this would affect their useful life.
- Hanging bags: these are similar to those used by laundries and dry cleaners; they have a hanger or hook on the top, which can be used to hang it wherever you like.
Not having enough space in your suitcase is a problem no more! Now you can use vacuum storage bags to pack much more efficiently. Every day, technological advances focus on speeding up and solving our everyday problems, and vacuum storage bags are no exception. Knowing how and when to use this modern accessory can help to avoid setbacks and improve your quality of life. So, if you want to save space in your suitcase and at home, don’t hesitate get your vacuum storage bags today!